Thursday, December 22, 2005

Done

The semester's over. I submitted my grades on Monday (It's Thursday, now). I wrote a bunch of my A and A- students to encourage them to further pursue computer sciencee. I was really happy with how a lot of them performed this semester; I was less happier with a few, but over all, a very intelligent and hard working group of kids.

I got a few emails back thanking them for the encouragement.

One email I got back was a guy who is friends with a CS major. Apparently this friend has had a really bad experience here. One of his teachers barely spoke english. He tried to take the data structures class, but there were so few people who wanted to take it, that the class was effectively cancled - it got merged with some other class - short story is he didn't learn anything about data structures that semester.

Is our undergrad department that bad? Should I refrain from encouraging students to major?

No comments: