Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Prime real estate

What part of Chapel Hill would you think the most expensive? Location seems the most important factor, and proximity to the University being pretty much the only metric of location quality. That leaves the area south of Cameron to the west of the University, and of course, Franklin street, in that old-growth stretch past the East End before it starts steeply down hill.



8XX E Franklin Street $175/sqft. Asking $740,000 for 4,214 sqft. Unsold for 175 days.



7XX E Franklin Street $411/sqft. Asking $3,350,000 for 8,144 sqft. Unsold for 62 days.

I've left the first digit intact on these two properties because I wanted to emphasize that these houses are a block apart. One is significantly more expensive than the other. 2.3 times as expensive per square foot. I think the cheaper of the two has a better chance of selling. It goes without saying, of course, that multi-million dollar properties are often on the market for a year or longer and that the 7XX E Franklin property is in the earliest phase of its' time on the market. However, the 8XX E Franklin property is not outlandishly more expensive than most Chapel Hill houses. Yet it languished on the market all summer.

Whatever the 8XX property sells for should set a ceiling for every other property in Chapel Hill. Southern Village's $200/sqft? I don't think so.

2 comments:

jimcaserta said...

The 7 block home deserves a per-sqft premium over the 8 block one. It is nicer and is a historic home. Plus its lot is 5X as big. A greater than 2X premium...

The 7-block is truly an awesome home, but is so far out of my price range I have no idea whether that is a reasonable price or not. Only time will tell.

Dice said...

Both these houses are out of my price range, and I agree that the 7XX house is nicer.

And you're right in calling me out on how I'm discounting land size in my posts. I've kinda stopped caring about a yard. I had to mow 3/4 of an acre for a couple years and now look at a yard as a huge burden.

I would happily live in the 8XX house, though. Very little of Chapel Hill is actually walkable, but Franklin street totally is. A few years back, I had an apartment near campus and loved being able to walk to UNC.